The family room and family suites inside the house offers a warm oases for a family. The other luxury rooms in the main house all have en-suite bathrooms, DSTV, Tea trays, electric blankets, fans and all other amenities. The annex next to the tennis court 3 tastefully decorated en suite bedrooms with DSTV, electric blankets, mini safe, fans and tea trays. all other amenities are provided for like fresh towels, vanity kits, soaps and shampoos. Braai facilities, microwave oven and fridge. Relax in the Amity Express and enjoy a sundowner in old world railway charm.
We cater for small weddings and conferences (catering included). Owner-run with homely personalized service.
The stone house in van Riebeeck Street known as “Fort Amity” was built in 1950/1951 by the building division of the firm Norwood Coaker, Ladybrand. Contrary to opinion, local or otherwise, the house was not designed by an architect. It was designed by Mr Raymond Howell, the Managing Director of Norwood Coaker, for his own use (and that of his family). Raymond Howell made use of the services of a university architectural student to check out measurements and proportions – but this young student in no way “designed” the house. Mr A.J.P (Apie) Louw, the Norwood Coaker Works Manager, was responsible for the construction of the house. The stone was quarried in the Norwood Coaker quarry near Nursery Hoek, and cut and trimmed by local stone masons. The roofing slates came from a quarry north of Pretoria. Mr and Mrs Howell and their four children lived in Fort Amity for twenty years. Submitted by Quentin Coaker, son of Horace Coaker, Chairman of Norwood Coaker.